Experiencing a slow increase in production following initial commissioning, rapid plant modification, as well as an introduction of precision operating practices and leadership was needed to facilitate quick step change in recovery, grade and throughput to achieve nameplate performance.
A turnkey, seamless capability needed to:
- Improve onsite plant project delivery resourcing (construction and project engineering)
- Include offsite multi-disciplinary engineering and detailed design.
- Embed experienced senior leadership into operations management and metallurgical technical service teams to strengthen production, safety, and quality outcomes.
- Commission completions and control system remediation.
- Provide expert workshops to train operational and maintenance staff and supervision on best practice operating and maintenance practices.
- Develop and implement precision operating and maintenance practices and management operating system processes.
Heron Resources were able to utilise the services of Primero in a number of areas following the commissioning of the Woodlawn processing plant. The EPC contractor had not completed commissioning to the client’s satisfaction and some design defects were becoming apparent. Primero were utilised firstly as boots on the ground to ensure plant modifications could be made quickly and effectively. This mod squad of skilled tradesmen with supervision were mobilized within 2 weeks of the first enquiry and were supported by a group of capable design engineers who were able to fast track engineering for urgently required modifications.
Primero swiftly deployed production, plant modification (‘mod-squad’) and engineering design teams, as well as equipment and suite of construction, operations, maintenance and asset management resources to aid in the implementation of:
- Leadership guidance for processing teams.
- Precision operating practices.
- Daily plant operation to achieve performance step changes.
- Training of Heron Resources’ operators and supervisors.
- Ongoing optimisation of plant throughput, grade and recoveries.
- Construction and commissioning completions.
- Plant upgrades.
- Daily maintenance tasks to aid plant optimisation and ramp-up.
- Various site project works initiated by process engineering teams:
- Design of ROM bin grizzly.
- Installation of froth pumps including all pipework.
- Verification of rock breaker structure.
- Reagents doing system design and upgrade.
- Design of crushed ore bypass and reclaim system.
- Series of workshops onsite: Operational Excellence transformation and Maintenance Excellence transformation.