Primero was engaged by Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) to implement a process plant upgrade at its Christmas Creek mine, located in Western Australia’s Pilbara, after having successfully completed an ECI phase.
Scope of Work
Utilising Vertical Wet High Intensity Magnetic Separation (V-WHIMS) technology, the upgrade was to enable the increased recovery of saleable fine material processed in the Desands unit at the Christmas Creek Ore Process Facility #2 (OPF2).
Responsible for the design, supply, construction and commission of a new Vertical WHIMS facility, scope of works included:
- Tie-in and pipe routing from scrubbing and wet screening circuit to new guard screen bank.
- Feed guard screens to magnetic circuit.
- Agitated feed storage tank.
- Magnetic drum separation (MOS).
- Transport of tailings from magnetic circuit tailing hoppers.
- Slurry transport of magnetic concentrate to new thickener.
- Installation of belt fitters.
- Provision of services to meet the V-WHIMS circuit demand, including process water, raw water, gland water, potable water, fire water, instrument air, and plant air.
- Provision of LV switchrooms, electrical equipment and electrical reticulation.
- Installation of communication and control systems equipment.
- Brownfield tie-in works.