The VWHIMS plant will improve product grade and mass recovery of product from the Desands unit operation at Fortescue’s existing processing facilities at Christmas Creek, using Vertical Wet High Intensity Magnet technology.
Scope of Work
The VWHIMS plant will improve product grade and mass recovery of product from the Desands unit operation at Fortescue’s existing processing facilities at Christmas Creek, using Vertical Wet High Intensity Magnet technology. The flowsheet is based on a simple and robust configuration, where wet screen undersize at a nominal -1 mm is treated in open circuit through a Low Intensity Magnetic (LIMS) stage, followed by a Vertical Wet High Intensity Magnetic Separation (V-WHIMS) stage to produce a concentrate stream and a tailings stream, which can be integrated with the existing process and auxiliary equipment.
The VWHIMS project comprises to redirection of the wet screen undersize stream from the existing scrubbing circuit to feed the brownfield magnetic separation plant. Plant design includes without limitation to:
- Tie-in and pipe routing from the current scrubbing / wet screening circuit to a new feed protection screen bank, with a provision for diverting flow to the current desands cyclone modules.
- Feed protection screens, to guarantee material is fed to the magnetic circuit.
- Agitated feed storage tank to allow uniform feed presentation to each module of magnetic separation equipment.
- Low Intensity Magnetic Separation (LIMS) to remove trace amounts of magnetite from the feed to the Vertical Wet High Intensity Magnetic Separation (V-WHIMS) circuit.
- V-WHIMS to recover hematite and goethite mineralisation to a concentrate stream.
- Transport of tailings from the magnetic circuit to a tailings transfer tank, for pumping back to the existing tailings de-aeration box via a slurry pipeline and
- Slurry transport of the magnetic concentrate to a new thickener, for dewatering prior to pumping to the current belt filters for moisture control.
- Flocculant addition to the new magnetic circuit concentrate thickener, with a new mixing, storage and pumping and pipeline arrangement.
- Provision of services to meet the V-WHIMS circuit demand, including for process water, raw water, potable water, instrument air, and plant air.