Independence Group NL (ASX: IGO) is a leading ASX-listed exploration and mining company with a strategic focus on high-quality assets of scale and longevity, and an evolving strategy to align the business to the structural shift to energy storage. IGO’s Nova Operation is located in the Fraser Range, approximately 160km east-northeast of Norseman, 360km southeast of Kalgoorlie and 380km from the Port of Esperance in Western Australia.
Heavy Vehicle Washbay
Primero was engaged to provide a turnkey design and construction solution to upgrade Nova’s existing non-functional Washbay. IGO was struggling with environmental non-compliance and heightened plant maintenance costs due to the extremely poor water quality in their underground mine. Care was requested to ensure minimal disruption to existing Washbay services as possible.
- Bulk earthworks to correct falls in the immediate area around the Washbay.
- Decommissioning and removal of all existing mechanical systems including excavation of existing in-ground Puraceptor.
- Concrete extensions to HV and LV Bays including Trench Spray extension.
- New Mechanical concrete pad to house Recycled Water and Oil Tanks, Pumps and Oily Water Treatment System.
- Install of:
- LV Drive-over Ramps with cladded spray walls.
- 6 automated water cannons, high flow hose reels and pressure washer reel/lances to HV Wash Bay.
- High flow hose reels and pressure washer reel lances to LV Wash Bay.
- Automated trench wash spray system with a dedicated pump.
- Ultra spin HD125 Oily Water Treatment System.
- UV Water Treatment Systems.
- New multistage Washdown water pump system to feed hose reels and Barminco Workshop.
- New sediment pit and pneumatic pump system at the Barminco Workshop.
- Two new slurry pumps and trench systems at the site refuelling bay and associated discharge pipework back to the Wash bay sediment pit.
- Upgrade of existing standpipe system including dedicated new pump.
- All associated electrical installations including new MCC module, DB, control panels, cabling and revised area lighting.
Underground Refuelling Infrastructure
A design and construction solution was requested by IGO Nova for a fully DMP and Australian Standard compliant underground fuel bay. This was the first underground project completed by Primero and received exceptional feedback from site personnel that the facility was the most fit-for-purpose, well set out and well-constructed underground fuel bay that many of them had seen. Mining delays impacting production were now mitigated as boggers and jumbos no longer needed to return to the surface for refuelling.
- 200 thick steel fibre slab.
- Drive-in sump to capture hydrocarbon spills.
- Fire Suppression System & Fire Extinguishers.
- Auto Closing Fire Resistant vent door.
- SatSTAT Fuel Dispensing Unit.
- Install of:
- Engine & Hydraulic Oil Tanks.
- Adblue Fuel Additive Tank.
- Removable Grease Pod Unit.
- Deluge Safety Shower.
- Hand Wash Station, Hose Down reels and Fire Hose Reel.
- Electrical Install of Fuel Bay DB, CP’s and lighting.
A cost-effective design and construction solution was requested by IGO Nova to house their ROM contractor Cross Verwijmeren. The workshop requirements were to be suitable for servicing CAT excavators, loaders and the remaining fleet being operated over a constant 24hr roster.
- Steel fibre slab with non-slip surface treatment.
- Drive-in catchment sump alongside slab to catch runoff from washing down slab.
- Self-contained administration / crib room office connected to site comms.
- Containerised Dome Shelter – 20m wide by 8.1m high.
- Potable Water & Plant Air Supply within the workshop.
- Suitable lighting for 24-hour servicing requirements.
- MAK Reverse Osmosis Plant
- IGO requested a site team to construct a new 1MEG Reverse Osmosis Plant over 2 weeks. The plant consisted of two 0.5M units, a bank of lamella clarifiers and full chemical dosing systems. Existing RO plants were causing significant plant downtime due to lack of front-end water treatment and age.
- Install of:
- New MAK RO units, tanks, pumps and clarifiers.
- All interconnecting pipework between equipment.
- Electrical DB’s, cabling and instrumentation.