The Marandoo Southern Waste Fines Storage Facility (SWFSF) is part of Rio Tinto’s Marandoo mine operations, located 45 kilometres east of Tom Price in the Pilbara, Western Australia. An open pit operation, the mine produces 15 million tonnes of iron ore per annum.
A new Southern Waste Fines Storage Facility (SWFSF) was constructed at a location approximately 4.5km southeast of the process plant. Primero was engaged to construct a new pipeline to deliver waste fines to the facility, allowing waste fines to be delivered to both the existing Waste Fines Storage Facility (WFSF) and the new SWFSF.
Included in Primero’s scope was the detailed structural, mechanical, piping, and electrical and communications design drafting, as well as supply and installation of all materials and equipment, including modifications to existing infrastructure and systems as required for:
- Waste fines pumping system upgrades, including new pumps & pipework.
- Waste fines pipeline & associated infrastructure from the process plant to the SWFSF.
- Gland water system upgrades, including new pumps & pipework to service all waste fines pumps.
- Decant pumping system, including new pump & pipework.
- Decant water pipeline & associated infrastructure from the SWFSF to the process plant.
- Underdrainage system, including new pump & pipework.
- Electrical, controls, & communications systems.
- Updating of existing controls systems & programming
- Critical brownfield tie-ins and commissioning interfaces achieved with RTIO resulting from methodical workforce and management teams and thorough planning.
- 73,000+ hours expended across design, construction and commissioning.
- All works were completed incident free with zero harm.